Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Buttermilk Pancakes

Sunday is pancake day at my house. I make up a big double batch of buttermilk pancakes. We eat them fresh and hot and then freeze the rest for an easy breakfast that lasts the rest of the week.
I stumbled across this recipe when sourcing scratch recipes due to my iodine sensitivity. After making this recipe I couldn't believe how easy and delicious it was. It was SO easy that I could not imagine ever using a mix again. Please try out this recipe. I guarantee you'll never stock a mix in your cupboard again.

I found the recipe after sifting through LOTS of recipes. This one was by far the easiest and most delicious. The recipe was printed and put in my "internet cookbook". Oh, I haven't told you about that yet? Well here it is.
It is just a three ring binder that has plastic sheet protectors for each category. When I am working on a recipe, that page comes out and is put behind the plastic of the front cover. I can have it on my counter for reference, and the page is protected from splatters, wet hands and food. I highly recommend this. Break your recipes down into categories to find them easier.

Back to the buttermilk pancake recipe. The buttermilk pancakes are buttery, silky, and oh so fluffy. It uses only staple items with the exception of buttermilk which if you don't have, you can just use regular milk


Buttermilk Pancakes:
Adapted from allrecipes

Total cook time: 30 minutes
Active cook time: 30 minutes
Beginner level recipe
Makes: approximately 18 pancakes

Ingredients:
3 Cups unbleached all-purpose flour
7 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt (non-iodized or kosher)
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 Cups buttermilk
1 Cup milk
2 eggs lightly beaten
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted

Tools:
Large skillet or multiple pans
Large spatula/pancake turner
Large bowl
Dinner fork
Measuring cups and spoons
2 Small bowls (for eggs and butter)
Cooking spray, oil, or butter

Method:
In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Gently combine with your fingers or a fork. There is no need to sift. Create a well in the center.
Break eggs into a second small bowl. Beat lightly to break the yolks.
Add buttermilk, milk and eggs to the dry ingredients. Begin to stir with dinner fork. While stirring, slowly add the melted butter. Mix until combined. Your batter will be somewhat thick.
Using a 1/4 measuring cup, pour batter into lightly greased cooking pans over medium low heat. Allow the pancakes to cook on one side until bubbles form on the top of the batter, and the sides of the pancake start to look less wet.
Flip the buttermilk pancakes over.
See how fluffy! Continue to cook on the other side until they are golden brown. Set aside on a plate and continue to cook until all the batter is used up. I cook the pancakes using the four largest pans that I have. This makes the cooking time fly by.
Serve the buttermilk pancakes with a bit more butter (optional) and real maple syrup. They are also fabulous topped with jam. I buy the jam sweetened with grape juice concentrate rather than sugar, fruit syrup, or corn syrup.

A note about maple syrup. Buy the real stuff. It only has one ingredient. A plus in my book. You want to use it sparingly of course, but it has a lot of flavor and is not as unhealthy for you as the fake stuff. It also varies wildly in price depending on where you buy it from. I buy the "Medium Amber Syrup Grade A 100% Pure" variety. It is least expensive at Fred Meyer in my area.

Once you have had your fill, let the rest of the pancakes cool to room temperature. Separate each with a square of parchment paper and place them into freezer safe storage bags. Freeze them.

For a quick weekday breakfast on the run, toast them just until they are heated through and lightly crisped on the outside. This does not take long. Top with jam or eat them plain. This is a healthier alternative to mass produced freezer pancakes in your grocery store. You know about each of the ingredients that went into making them and most importantly you can pronounce them.

Enjoy your buttermilk pancakes. I know I do almost every morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment