Search This Blog

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Rolling Dinner - Part 3 - Tortilla Soup

The final recipe in this "Rolling Dinner" series is the easiest by far. We are merely bringing together items made from scratch by you and adding a few other ingredients for flavor and flare. You can choose to substitute any items that you would personally like in a tortilla soup. Let me know what you come up with. I'll be excited to hear where your creativity takes you.

My creation above is much fancier than I would normally do for myself on a Wednesday night. I'd usually do this for a dinner guest. Because you are such an awesome dinner guest I pulled out all the stops and will even show you how I put together the dish. However, I would not normally reveal to a dinner guest that I pulled the soup base from my freezer.....
Tortilla Soup:

Servings: 2
Total cooking time: 20 minutes
Active cooking time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
20 oz frozen Italian Chicken Noodle Soup broth
1/2 cup Spanish Rice
1/4 cup grated medium cheddar cheese (or whatever you like)
4 oz cooked chicken sliced into strips
1 Avacado
2 Tablespoons sour cream
14 Tortilla chips

Tools:
1 Small saucepan
1 Ladle
1 Knife
1 Cutting board
1 Cheese grater

Method:
Put 20oz of frozen Italian Chicken Noodle Soup broth in saucepan. Over medium heat, thaw and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile in two soup bowls, place 1/4 cup Spanish Rice in the bottom center of the bowl.
Place sliced chicken and avocado slices alternately around the mound of Spanish Rice.
Sprinkle one third of the grated cheese around and on top of the chicken and avocado slices.
Dollop one tablespoon of sour cream on the top of each mound. Place six tortilla chips around the edges of each bowl, tips up. Crumble one tortilla chip on the top of each mound.
Once the Italian Chicken Noodle Soup broth comes to a boil, gently pour one or two ladle fulls around the bowl being careful not to disturb your rice mound or chips.
Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper to taste. Split remaining cheese between the two bowls and sprinkle on top.

Upon finishing this task, I realized that a nice sprinkling of rough chopped cilantro would have really put on the finishing touch. Oh well. C'est la vie.

This dish is great for a quick dinner or lunch. If you don't want all the presentation, just add the Spanish Rice and cooked chicken to the Italian Chicken Noodle Soup broth while it is defrosting in the sauce pan. Bring it all to temp and throw in the avocado, grated cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips when it is served. Either way it is good.

Thank you for joining me for this "Rolling Dinner" series. If you have any comments or suggestions, I'd be glad to hear.

Next up is Buttermilk Pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment